Preferred Architecture for Centrino Core Duo

Jeremy Nix Jeremy.Nix at sfsltd.com
Mon Dec 3 14:50:38 UTC 2007

I was reading the Fedora 8 documentation and came across section 3.2
that recommends that the x86_64 architecture to be used for the Centrino
Core Duo processors.  In prior versions, I have been running the i686
architecture, so I am curious as to what the benefits would be in
switching to a 64 bit architecture when my processor is a 32bit
dual-core.  Can somebody explain this to me, as the documentation does
not really outline the benefits or reasons to switch to the 64 bit
architecture.

Thanks in advance.

--

Jeremy Nix