[OT] Is Rawhide usable for day-to-day operation - reply when you've time, no hurry

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Dec 3 22:01:09 UTC 2007

Arijit Sarkar wrote:
> Hi,
> For the past one year (almost) I am into Linux world. I used Ubuntu and
> then Debian on my desktop before. Recently I've installed Fedora 8 into
> my laptop after hearing lots of good things about it. And I found that
> in many cases Fedora 8 is better than Ubuntu 7.04 (frank opinion). No
> matter how "easy to use" ubuntu methods are, I found some interesting
> learning curves/excitements in Fedora. So I choose Fedora for my lenovo
> N3000.
>
> Now, while using /debian/, I learned about its /testing, unstable/
> branches. Later I successfully switched to "/Testing/" (currently
> '/lenny/') and quite happy to use that. Since it's a home PC, I don't
> mind if sometimes few things break and I've wait for few days for the
> fixes.
>
> Does Fedora has three branches like debian - /stable, testing, unstable/
> ? I guess "rawhide" is like "testing" in debian. Am I correct?
> In debian, people thinks that 'testing' distribution is almost usable
> for day-to-day use. Can rawhide be used for the same? Is
> 'debian-testing' and 'fedora-rawhide' comparable?
> Can I install a /rawhide /for my laptop? Can you suggest the move to
> 'rawhide' fedora install.

"stable" in the Red Hat world is "Red Hat Enterprise linux." It costs.
There are clones such as Scientific Linux (actually, a near clone) and
CentOS with are more akin to Debian Stable. RHEL is what conservative
people bet their business on. Less well-moneyed uses a cheap clone.
That's where I sit for normail production work, I use CentOS (or WBEL,
another clone) on servers and a desktop, Scientlific Linux on a desktop.

Fedora is more like Debian's testing, or Ubuntu's mainline. I run it on
a separate system, where I want to play with the latest technology. The
pooter has hardware virtualisation, and I use Xen.

Rawhide translates most nearly to SID. Still in development. I'm
pondering on this, probably will run it as a guest under F8. Not the
best for beginners without a geek on standby.

Some people run SID, Some people run Rawhide; both are possible, and I'm
sure some users of both don't appreciate the risks involved. Fine for
geeks and wannabe geeks.

--

Cheers
John