[OT] Is Rawhide usable for day-to-day operation - reply when you've time, no hurry

Arijit Sarkar ari_sarkar_1980 at yahoo.co.in
Tue Dec 4 02:41:35 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:

> Fedora is more like Debian's testing, or Ubuntu's mainline. I run it
> on a separate system, where I want to play with the latest technology.
> The pooter has hardware virtualisation, and I use Xen.

Yes, this seems a good solution. I have to make some free space on my
desktop and use Fedora with 'testing' repository enabled.
Is it okay to mix up both fedora-stable and testing softwares together?
Or I have to disable 'stable' repository and enable 'testing' repository
only? In debian-world, I've enabled only 'testing' and disable 'stable'
(many people mixes though)

> Rawhide translates most nearly to SID. Still in development. I'm
> pondering on this, probably will run it as a guest under F8. Not the
> best for beginners without a geek on standby.
>
> Some people run SID, Some people run Rawhide; both are possible, and
> I'm sure some users of both don't appreciate the risks involved. Fine
> for geeks and wannabe geeks.

I have to learn many things but I'm not afraid of Linux. For the time
being, I may not jump to the rawhide but I'll catch up soon.
By the way, you guys are really helpful and I appreciate your comments
on a off-topic like this.

regards,