Grub clarification

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Tue Dec 4 02:48:31 UTC 2007

Yeah, that is part of my original problem.  I have several other disks
and they are attached to SCSI drives as well.  The BIOS is a bit screwy
in try to determine the order of how disks are being read and which comes
first?  The SCSI drives or the IDE drives?  I still couldn't figure this
out.  The system is: VA Linux Systems: 501.  Pretty old.

When I first started with F8-Live, the screen showing custom partitions
displayed in order:

/dev/sda SCSI disk 1
/dev/sdb SCSI disk 2
/dev/sdc IDE-0 Primary disk 3
/dev/sdd IDE-0 Secondary disk 4

So in THAT case, I tried to install GRUB in /dev/sdc1 and choosed
the Advanced Options to set MBR @ /dev/sdc1.  This did not work.

So - then I decided to remove ALL SCSI drives and in doing so, I
was left with:

/dev/sda IDE-0 Primary disk 1
/dev/sdb IDE-0 Secondary disk 2

So, I am focusing on this right now trying to get things going
but then again, I am still not able to get GRUB to get started
and all I see on a boot is a black screen with the word: GRUB
at the top-left corner of my monitor.