[FC8] useradd anomaly - GUI or command line???

Deepak Shrestha d88pak at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 09:54:02 UTC 2007

> I guess the question is...what are you trying to achieve?

I am just trying to add some users for my FC box so that they can log
in and start using it. Also trying to learn the command line tools to
do that.

> Use the passwd command to properly set the users password.  As root,
> type "passwd username" (for whatever username you want to set the
> password for).

Well this solved the problem. After creating the user, I had to issue
again passwd command to create/change/encrypt password and the user
can now login. Also in /etc/shadow file the users password is
encrypted.

Thanks for all the suggestions. ;-)

Actually I am following the example from a book. It is not clearly
mentioned about the password encryption thing, so I was king of
expecting that user can be created in single command line like what I
have posted before. So that means GUI user manager does this in two
separate steps, I guess (create user, create password) right?

Thanks again.