Is Beagle a Good Thing?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Dec 4 20:44:11 UTC 2007

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 10:30 +0000, Chris Jones wrote:
>>> But then you can use "find".  I use it all the time with hundreds
>>> (thousands?) of files in multiple directories with even more sub
>>> directories.
>> find only searches the file names - These desktop search tools do much
>> more than this - They search *inside* the files. They know how read most
>> of the common file formats (including images, searching the EXIM
>> comments and music files) and will match your search to any file which
>> matches.
>
> But then, he'll say, he uses grep.

How true.  :)  You must be a mind reader.

>> No use of find, or careful organisation of your file system can do this.
>
> The other disadvantages of command-line tools are:
>
> - They can't re-use information learned in one scan to make another scan
> more efficient.  Indexers index once (and incrementally after) and the
> searches run against the indexed data--typically much faster.
>
> - The traditional tools don't understand specialized files.  It doesn't
> help much to know that your fedora-list mbox matches a phrase without
> knowing which message it is, if you have a few hundred messages.
>
> On the other hand, indexers:
>
> - Use resources in the background, possibly at inconvenient times.
>
> - Take up (possibly significant) disk space with indices.
>
> - Index only what they recognize.
>
> So each method has its good and bad points.
>
>> Chris

One issue with all this pre-compiled database is it makes things easy
for someone else to trace your actions.  Maybe I am paranoid but I found
that even "locate" can reveal to much information that I don't want
easily found.

But this is my preference.

I want to start encrypting everything on the laptop and many files on
the desktop.

--
Robin Laing