camera problem "could not claim usb device"

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Tue Dec 4 21:29:00 UTC 2007

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 13:13:05 -0800
Tod Merley <todbot88 at gmail.com> wrote:

> You did remind me of a little problem possibly related.  If I copy TO
> a USB flash drive or MP3 player the operation goes fine (Gnome drag
> and drop), if I delete from Gnome the item no longer shows up on the
> device BUT the space is not freed.  The way I get around it is a root
> terminal to remove items on the USB device.

Someone with a Ubuntu system told me about a situation that's similar to yours:
If he deletes a file from his USB flash drive through Gnome he sees exactly
what you see.  He told me that if he opens a terminal window and does a ls -a
on the flash drive he discovers a .trash directory.  Deleting that frees up the
space that he expects to see.