anaconda-ks.cfg

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Wed Dec 5 16:45:49 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 15:05 +0000, tony.chamberlain at lemko.com wrote:
> I installed Linux from a DVD, having
> to choose a l,ot of things (like time zone,
> language, packages, etc).  Upon
> completion there was a file in /root called
> anaconda-ks.cfg with all the choices.
> This is a jumpstart file and you are supposed
> to be able to create a bootable disk with the
> ks.  So I copied everything in order from
> the dvd to my hard drive, then in the isolinux
> (I believe) directory I put the anaconda-ks.cfg
> file, renaming it to what my directions said (I forgot
> now).  Then I burned a DVD with the new file.
> But trying to boot and install from that DVD did nothing.
> It wasn't even recognized.
>
> I am sure what I did was probably not quite right.
> So if I have a CentOS installation DVD and a kickstart
> file (separately) how do you incorporate them to make
> a bootable install dvd with the kickstart?
----
I have to believe that the default install uses some hard coded list of
packages set within anaconda and anaconda doesn't consult any external
cfg file by default.

That said, if you were intent on modifying your own installation DVD and
getting it to automatically run some kickstart.cfg file, you could
probably edit isolinux/isolinux.cfg to have an entry that appended the
ks=/some_kickstart.cfg file on that DVD (or simply type it in yourself
by editing the 'boot' parameters).

Note that you can have anaconda download/use a kickstart file from any
available method/medium i.e. nfs/http/ftp/floppy/usb flash drive/etc. so
it seems as though you are trying to hard.

Craig