NTP fails synchronization with server at startup

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 23:07:42 UTC 2007

On Dec 5, 2007 10:12 PM, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb at tiscali.fr> wrote:
> > > Another thing. Are you sure that ntp isn't doing it's stuff, even though
> > > the bootup shows a fail. Before you do the ntpd restart, run the
> > > following as user.
> > >
> > > /usr/sbin/ntpq
> > > then type pe, which will give you some info on which servers ntp is
> > > trying to connect to, and how successfull it is being. You can keep
> > > typing pe at intervals, which will show ntp's progress at reaching a
> > > point where a time server is being used as a "sys peer". The server being
> > > used will be prefixed by a "*". Other useable servers will be prefixed by
> > > a "+" "candidat". To quit ntpq type q.
> >
> > Thanks, Nigel. In fact,
> > # /usr/sbin/ntpq
> > ntpq> pe
> > No association ID's returned
> > ntpq> pe
> >      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
> > jitter
> > ===========================================================================
> >=== clock-a.develoo 192.12.19.20     2 u   28   64    3  190.143  438.261
> > 9.311 ntpq>
>
> Well it appears to have a connection to the timeserver here, and often takes a
> while before the timeserver is accepted as a system peer. Then an "*" will
> appear before clock-a.develoo. Your reach is showing as 3, and will gradually
> progress until it reaches 377, but this can take some time.
> >
> > i.e., when I run pe after a while, I get the above, but the first time
> > I run pe, I get
> >
> > 'No association ID's returned'
>
> That usually indicates that ntp cannot contact the timeserver, no network
> connection, or the timeserver is not accessable.
> >
> > Can I be sure that ntp is running now and synchronizing with a ntp server?
>
> It appears to be running, but I think you have a problem in only having one
> timeserver available.
> >
> > Paul
>
> Paul. I'd still suggest that you add more timeservers to your /etc/ntp.conf.
> Try the 3 that I am using. I know they are not the closest to you, but they
> have been reliable for me. As I mentioned earlier, make sure that everything
> in /etc/ntp.conf is commented out, except the driftfile line, comment out
> also your present server, and add the ones I've listed below. Save the
> changes, restart the ntp daemon, and rerun /usr/sbin/ntpq. Type pe every
> minute or so, and see how it progresses.
>
> server ntp.obspm.fr
> server ntp.kamino.fr
> server ntp2.belbone.be
>
> Is this just the one machine you have connected to the Internet, or are you on
> a LAN with other machines that are also using ntp to get their time from
> Internet timeservers?

Thanks again, Nigel. Does it seem that it is working now?

# /usr/sbin/ntpq
ntpq> pe
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
*syrte8.obspm.fr 134.157.254.19   2 u   27   64  377   62.413  132.612  16.037
+ns1.kamino.fr   193.52.184.106   2 u   20   64  377   85.748  119.231  10.125
+ntp2.belbone.be 195.13.23.6      2 u   54   64  377   69.566  104.344  12.046
ntpq>

No, I am directly connected to the Internet, with no LAN in between.

Paul