usbkeys with U3 and their removal?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Dec 6 18:35:06 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:
> Robin Laing wrote:
>

>> Also, found this out this morning.  If you erase the partition that
>> you have access to, the launchpad software pukes.  It won't run and
>> thus saves your Windows friend from getting bits of the "spyware"
>> software on their system.
>>
>> For those that don't know, here is the pusher of this spyware or root
>> kit software.  I have read a few articles about installing key grabber
>> software on the U3 partition and using in a public computer.
>
> I think autorun is inherently bad. No, not "bad" "Evil" is a better work.
> In "group policy" one can turn autorun off for all devices.

I totally agree.

If you have comments or concerns, this is a link to the discussion
forums on U3.
http://u3community.com/

In the "Wishlist", the request has been made for Linux support.

Any request to remove U3 with Linux is usually met with a "return to
vendor" and replace.   Nice if your local vendor will accept opened returns.

One response to my comment was an analogy on purchasing butter and not
having a knife to spread the butter.  I equated it to getting butter and
having to use a solid gold knife in a Cotswold stone tiled kitchen or
the butter would go rancid.

On this community, some feel that it is the best thing ever invented but
cannot understand that it may be good but it has to be able to work
across different platforms.  If the service causes loss of data, then it
is a problem.  I have seen it in action and I now understand how data
gets lost.

--
Robin Laing