gmfsk and F8

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Thu Dec 6 22:00:54 UTC 2007

On Thursday 06 December 2007 20:52, Karl Larsen wrote:
>     This afternoon I decided to see if I could get my best Amateur Radio
> software running on F8. The first step was to get fftw libs on F8 and
> that is done with a tarball
>
> fftw-2.1.5.tar.gz which I compiled with success on F8 and installed it
> properly. This took about 30 minutes because it is a complex Fast
> Fourier Transform program. Essential to my program.
>
>     Next I un-packed  gmfsk-0.7pre1.tar.gz which is the main program.
> This compiled the first time since the right fftw is loaded. I installed
> it properly and it runs just fine but, It can't open /dev/ttyS0. This is
> because I am not root or Group uucp.
>
>     I got the nice User and Group GUI thing going and was not happy with
> how it looked. I forgot to hit on Edit and setup and set it to show ALL
> users and Groups. Once I got that working I was able with ease to cause
> my karl login to belong to the uucp group. Had to reboot and it now works.
>
>     The application gmfsk is alive and working on F8. It would be fun to
> make a RPM with this application but it has so many other things
> required it never seems to work out.
>
>     Sure glad to get it working!
>
> Karl

Well done. I saw recently that keeping your brain active can offset
altsheimers ( and I've probably spelt that wrong). Putting the spelling
aside, working with Linux certainly keeps your brain active. I've got a few
years to catch up to you Karl, but you're doing well man with working through
the problems.

All the best.

Nigel.