openldap: SASL and/or TLS?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Dec 7 06:11:25 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 00:44 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> it seems to me that encryption necessarily involves,
> or requires, authentication.

Generically, no...  It just means the traffic is encrypted, whatever it
is.  e.g. I can look at bugzilla using a HTTPS connection, but I haven't
logged in, so it doesn't know who I am.  That's encryption without
authentication.

But if you, then, authenticate in some way through that encrypted
connection, you get both.  i.e. You log on.

I read messages from the public lists.