Users and Groups

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Dec 7 15:38:06 UTC 2007

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:

>    If you click on System -> Administration -> Users and Groups you
> give your root password and up comes a nearly blank panel. It lists
> just one User and you wonder what it is good for. At least I did. I
> tried for Help and none appeared.

that's right, karl ... and those screamingly obvious "Add User" and
"Add Group" icons at the top of the dialog panel -- gosh, they're
tricky little buggers, aren't they?  one can only *guess* what
possible value *they* have.

>    Then I clicked on Edit and then Preferences. There I found all
> the blocks with a check mark before them. So I erased all the check
> marks and rebooted the thing. Now it lists ALL the Users and Groups.
> You can click on one and a panel comes up and let's you join any
> group you want to. It is useful.
>
>    Why does it arrive on a new load with all those things checked?
> Where is help on F8? I think it is a bug.

right again, karl -- *your* lack of understanding clearly implies a
monumental design flaw in fedora.  i recommend bugzilla, priority
"high", severity "critical".  *that'll* teach those software
developers what's what.

good luck with that ... let us know how it works out.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca