F8 either rebooting or restarting X while I'm away

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Dec 7 18:40:36 UTC 2007

Gerry Tool wrote:
> The past two days, when I return to my computer after being away -
> probably >= 1/2 hr, I find the login screen greeting me.  Since I
> don't see it happen, I don;t know if the computer is rebooting or if X
> is restarting.
>
> Does anyone else experience this?
>
> What should I look for in what log file to get a clue?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Gerry

If you look in /var/log/messages, you will see a definite sequence
when the machine boots. It will start something like:

Dec  4 12:05:21 mikkel syslogd 1.4.1: restart.
Dec  4 12:05:21 mikkel kernel: klogd 1.4.1, log source = /proc/kmsg
started.
Dec  4 12:05:21 mikkel kernel: Linux version 2.6.22.9-61.fc6
(brewbuilder at hs20-bc2-4.build.redhat.com
Dec  4 12:05:21 mikkel kernel: BIOS-provided physical RAM map:

That gives you a quick check to see if the machine is rebooting. To
see if X is restarting, the timestamp on /var/log/Xorg.0.log can be
helpful, as well as any messages in /var/log/messages.

Mikkel