Fedora 7 Shutdown

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Dec 7 19:20:44 UTC 2007

Christoph Höger wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 06.12.2007, 14:56 -0500 schrieb Gene Poole:
>> I complained to a friend of mine about one of my boxes just shutting down
>> without any notice.  He informed me that this is an issue, in some cases,
>> with people running Fedora 7.  I'm running Fedora 7 x86_64 (AMD X2 64
>> +5600, 4-GB RAM, nVidia PCIE graphic card, 2 - 320 GB SATA hard drives).
>> Is there a way to fix this or should I just start my migration to Fedora 8?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gene Poole
>> gene.poole at macys.com
>>

> Hi,
>
> the first thing I would point at: You've got not enough power (watts)!
> With _that_ configuration you could simply run out of power with burning
> something and looking/encoding a video or so.
> How many W has your power supply? And how many W does your
> CPU,GPU,HDs,DVDs need at maximum?
>
> regards
>
> christoph

I am not running a 64 bit machine but I have had numerous power issues
with my computer.  Three power supplies later things are working quite
well.  Most issues started when trying to burn a DVD, in fact it burnt
out a DVD burner by not supplying enough power for it.

I have had really bad experiences with Antec power supplies and a known
problem with the 5V rail.

I have also had issues with the nvidia graphics driver but not powering
down.

--
Robin Laing