F8 either rebooting or restarting X while I'm away

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.com
Fri Dec 7 19:30:50 UTC 2007

Around 06:58pm on Friday, December 07, 2007 (UK time), Karl Larsen scrawled:

> Gerry Tool wrote:
> >The past two days, when I return to my computer after being away -
> >probably >= 1/2 hr, I find the login screen greeting me.  Since I
> >don't see it happen, I don;t know if the computer is rebooting or if X
> >is restarting.
> >
> >Does anyone else experience this?
> >
> >What should I look for in what log file to get a clue?
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Gerry
> >

>    It sounds like your new F8 is timing out sooner than your other one.
> You can adjust that somewhere but I forget where now. It is simple and
> you can make the delay an hour or 2.
>
>    I think it is normal and not a problem.

Assuming it was not a locked screen saver asking for your password (and
from what you have said it isn't), then this certainly *isn't* normal
behaviour and it is a problem.

I would agree with others who think it may be a crashing screensaver
taking down the X Windows system.  I have had this in the past when I
have had a random selection of screen savers.  I would disable
screensavers and see if the problem goes away.  If it does, you can then
activate them one at a time until it appears.  In my experience the
problem is worse with 3gl cards and proprietary drivers.

Steve

--

A:  Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q:  Why is top-posting a bad thing?

 19:25:50 up 69 days,  6:22,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.03