haldaemon problem

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Fri Dec 7 23:32:46 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 09:25 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
> Todd Zullinger wrote:
> > david walcroft wrote:
> >
> >> I'm trying to restart the daemon and get this
> >>
> >> [david at reddwarf ~]$ sudo /sbin/service haldaemon restart
> >> Stopping HAL daemon:                                       [FAILED]
> >> Starting HAL daemon:                                       [FAILED]
> >>

> > Look in /var/log/messages for some some clues.
> >

> >> Is it because I might not have haldaemon in my system.
> >>
> >> [david at reddwarf ~]$ sudo rpm -qa | grep haldaemon
> >>

> > No.  The package name isn't haldaemon, it's just hal.  If you didn't
> > have it installed, you wouldn't have the init script that the service
> > command runs. :)
> >
> > You could check with rpm -V that the hal packages aren't messed up (if
> > there's nothing obvious in the logs):
> >
> > rpm -V hal hal-libs
> >

> No I do not have rpm -V hal hal-libs and no messages in the in the log.

Can you "rpm -qa | grep hal" and see if you have any HAL stuff at all?
You should have at least hal and hal-libs.  If not, then "yum install
hal hal-libs"

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-   Errors have occurred. We won't tell you where or why.  We have   -
-                         lazy programmers.                          -