Sound, Fedora 8, On Toshiba Satellite P107-S6147

Endy endy at digitalgrotto.net
Fri Dec 7 23:56:15 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Robert L Cochran wrote:
>> I have a Toshiba Satellite P105-S6147 laptop with a standard Fedora 8
>> installation (except for the madwifi driver set) and the sound on it
>> doesn't seem to work. I get kernel messages like this, and a Skype
>> test call doesn't work.
>>
>> Dec  7 17:42:04 eng2 pulseaudio[2949]: alsa-util.c: Device hw:0
>> doesn't support 44100 Hz, changed to 48000 Hz.
>> Dec  7 17:42:04 eng2 pulseaudio[2949]: alsa-util.c: Device hw:0
>> doesn't support 44100 Hz, changed to 48000 Hz.
>> Dec  7 17:42:04 eng2 pulseaudio[2949]: alsa-util.c: Cannot find mixer
>> control "Capture".
>>
>> Any suggestions for how to fix this?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Bob Cochran
>> Greenbelt, Maryland, USA
>>

>    First you must get Skype for Linux version 2.004 I think. Then in a
> root terminal do
>
> yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
>
> When that is done your sound will come back.
>
> Karl

There is absolutely no reason to remove the alsa pulse audio plugin
whatsoever.  Progams that require full access to the soundcard, such as
skype and high end audio apps, can be run by running the "pasuspender"
app to tell pulse audio to stop working until the app you want to run is
done.  For skype the command would look like "pasuspender skype". This
is something that has been brought up several times on the mailing list,
and pasuspender is a FAR easier method of running the programs you want,
rather than crippling the sound server like Karl thinks is a good idea.