Is ECC memory any use?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Dec 8 07:32:49 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm getting memory for a very old (P2B-LS) Asus motherboard,
> and I see I can get ECC memory for some 20% more.
>
> Is there any point in getting this?
> I see there is quite a lot of work
> in getting ECC testing incorporated into the Linux kernel.
> But even if it were there, would it be very valuable?

Whether to use ECC ram depends on the mobo; some support it, some don't.

I suspect that mobo supports 384 Mbytes of SDRAM, probably no faster
than PC-100 (but PC-133 works fine); it might not even require it that fast.

I've just been to a computer auction; I suspect that wouldn't even
attract a bid. I'm not sure that there was anything less than a 1.7 Ghz PIV.
<checks>
There were two COMPAQ DESKPRO Pentium IIIs, they went for $AU60+10%
buyers' premium +10% GST.

It would make a fine firewall (and until recently I was using a Pentium
II for just that), but _I_ wouldn't be spending money on it.

The question isn't so much whether it can do a useful job, as for how
long it will do so.

--

Cheers
John