Users and Groups

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sat Dec 8 15:50:53 UTC 2007

This is done to your directory list from being swamped with the setup
files for programs.  You have
full access to them, and can see them at any time with the command ls
-al.
All applications have defaults.  These defaults are set in files, and on
Unix, those files are named .application, or in the case of a complex
application such as a drawing program, or image manipulation there may
be hundreds of settings in dozens of categories, so the practice is to
call a folder .application with sub-folders for the categories
containing the requisite files with settings.  Most Unix programmers
follow the practice of text setup files, so that they are human
readable.  And yes, this has been around almost since the beginning.

Regards,