F8 and BOINC

Michael Klinosky mpk2 at enter.net
Sat Dec 8 21:35:25 UTC 2007

I installed F8 (fresh) on one of my machines (not my primary box!), and
BOINC seems to have some issues now.

After I cleaned up the install to my prefs, I downloaded the latest &
greatest BOINC software (5.10.21). When I tried to run the manager, I
got "Assertion `!c->xlib.lock' failed." A search turned up some issues
with F8 - here is one relevant to mine:
http://staff.science.uva.nl/~hveerten/linux.html

Well, I can't use that version. So I tried the former version (I left
/home intact). However, its gui freezes as soon as it appears. If
there's another window over it, and I bring it to the front, it's not
updated. And, I have to force quit.

A terminal works, as does Firefox.

What's going on?