large disk space problem?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Dec 9 04:00:37 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> zhu blue:

> Tim:
>>> To make use of a drive, you partition it (even if that means using the
>>> whole drive as one partition), fdisk is one tool that you can use.  A
>>> quick glance at the above looks like you've done that okay.
>
> Mikkel L. Ellertson:
>> It looks like the drive is already one big partition with an ext3
>> file system on it, but it is only shown as being 9.2G. It almost
>> looks like the partition was resized but the file system wasn't. If
>> it didn't already have 5.3G of data on it, it would be tempting to
>> delete and recreate the file system.
>
> I was never too good at figuring out fdisk block counts, but I thought:
>
> 156288321 blocks times 512 byte blocks times two (to make it kilobytes)
                                         divided by 2
> gave 160,039,240,704 kilobytes (approx 160 GB).
>
> How is it supposed to be worked out?

You are assuming a block size of 512. You would get a better size
estimate by taking the number of cylinders (end + 1 - start) times
the bytes/cylinder. Then again, the fdisk man page says it does not
work well with large disks, and recommends using parted instead.

The partition is approx 160 GB, but from the output of df, the file
system is only 9.2 GB. So the file system is only a fraction of the
size of the partition. Unless there is a bug in df so that it is
mis-reporting the size of the file system, then the file system does
not fill the partition.

Mikkel