Incredible F8 updates : DEFEAT & CAVEAT

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Dec 9 20:30:21 UTC 2007

Beartooth wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 10:47:58 -0500, David Boles wrote:
>

>> The default Fedora install gives you Fedora (Everything) and Fedora
>> Updates enabled. All others default to disabled.
>>
>> In order to use the other repos, any of them, *you* had to *enable*
>> them. Which can be done by root in a text editor or one of several GUIs
>> provided by Fedora.

I generally customize my Fedora installs for this or that, but unless I
want something special (like the livna flavor of ffmpeg, which means
consciously surfing to their website, then consciously downloading and
installing their yum repos, and then consciously running 'yum install
aaa' where aaa is whatever I am looking for) I stick with the default
Fedora repos for my updates. Any conflicts I have with the updates are
my own problem. Every now and then a dependency problem comes up in a
package, but waiting a few days for someone to fix it fixes that.
Otherwise, I have never had a problem.

Why not just do a clean install of Fedora and be happy with the yum
update defaults? Don't change them if doing so will cause you such
distress. They work most of the time (although Fedora 8 seems to have a
yum-updatesd issue that you can fix by turning it off in chkconfig,
rebooting the machine, and then doing a manual 'yum update' from the
command line.

Bob Cochran