kalarm - week starting day

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Dec 9 22:01:35 UTC 2007

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 13:15:41 -0600
> "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
>
>>  If
>> you feel like experimenting, re-install kdebase and kcontrol. Then
>> run kcontrol as your user, and change the first day of the week,
>> save the change, and then change it back and save it again. Then
>> remove kdebase and see if your changes stick. I suspect that this
>> will create a user config file that kalarm will then use.
>
> I just tried this:
>
> 1.  Run kcontrol and set the first day of the week to Monday.
> 2.  Apply
> 3. Set the first day of the week to Sunday
> 4. Apply
> 5. yum remove htdig xorg-x11-xdm kde-settings-kdm kdebase-libs
> fedorainfinity-kdm-theme kdebase
> 6. Load kalarm, check the calendar.  The first day of the week is Monday.
> 7. yum install kdebase
> 8. Load kalarm, check the calendar.  The first day of the week is Sunday.
>
> It appears that removing kdebase causes kalarm to return to its apparent
> default of Monday, regardless of the custom setting that was previously created
> using kcontrol.  If kdebase is installed, then the first day of the week
> defaults to Sunday.

I can understand why Mikkel's explanation might hold, I was coming to
the same conclusion when I read it.

Now, I'm beginning to think there's also a bit in kdebase that reads
users' preferences, and that if it's not there kalarm silently ignores it.

This, I would contend, is broken behaviour and worth a bug report. I
don't suppose it will be the most important bug report around, but if
it's in the system there's a chance someone will look at it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait