F8 - /dev/dvd symlink not created

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 04:16:39 UTC 2007

Richard Shaw wrote:
> I just replaced the DVD burner in my server (which I pulled it from my
> desktop) and I do not get a /dev/dvd symlink. I installed F8 using a
> spare CD drive and HTTP to my desktop.
>
> If I create the link myself all works as expected. Could this be
> somehow linked to the pilot-link issue? I removed that package from
> that machine since  don't need it.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

This one is kind of solved. I did some searching in /etc and found the
udev/rules directory. In there I found a file called
70-persistand-cd.rules and took a look. It still had the rules for the
Lite-On CD drive I removed. Luckly I had pulled the DVD writer from
another F8 machine and poked around in the same file and found
everything. The only thing I had to change was the device path since it
was not the same between the two machines.

Follow up question: Which application is supposed to take care of this?
Kudzu? Udev itself?

Thanks,
Richard