Yum bungling dependency resolution

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Mon Dec 10 08:04:25 UTC 2007

Janardana Deva wrote:
> Thank you Todd.
> Updating from testing worked.
> System is not fully up-to-date.

Excellent.

> Seems that all these updates are being released into fc8 but not
> into previous releases?

What updates do you mean specifically?  There is a yum-3.2.8-2 update
for F7, just as there is for F8.  You can check all the other updates
for at https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/

There won't be any more updates for FC6, as it has now reached it's
end of life.

> Is this a "nudge" from redhat or the fedora project to get people to
> switch to a release that still has other unresolved issues?

I don't think so.  There are still plenty of updates for the software
in F7.  Sure, there are probably a bit more for F8, but that's mainly
due to F8 being released fairly recently.  As more people try it and
report bugs or suggestion improvements, packages get updated.  The
Gnome desktop release is also pretty new, and updates for that set of
applications has come along for what shipped in F8.

Few things are harder to put up with than a good example.
    -- Mark Twain (1835-1910)