Video Sound problems

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Dec 10 16:19:27 UTC 2007

On Monday 10 December 2007 15:05, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 09:01 +0200, Antti J. Huhtala wrote:
> > ma, 2007-12-10 kello 00:12 -0600, Mike Chambers kirjoitti:
> > > Can someone go to the below URL, and click/play the video(s) in the top
> > > right corner?  The video plays, but no sound at all (but my sound does
> > > work).  You may or may not need mplayer or the like, maybe flash or
> > > java, don't know. But I am wondering what is needed to get the sound to
> > > work though.
> > >
> > > http://espn.go.com
> > >
> > > Thanks ahead of time,
> >
> > I tried that and at first volume was very low. Then I realized that the
> > volume control below the video window had a default value of 1 % or so.
> > Try pushing it a bit up...
>
> Yes I know about the volume control, but it is all the way up and
> nothing.  Are you using java-icedtea and/or flash?  What versions?  Are
> you using anything from sun's web site?
>
> --
> Mike Chambers
> Madisonville, KY
>
> "The best lil town on Earth!"

Hi Mike. I tried it earlier on FC2, and the radio side of things works ok on
dialup. Video takes ages to DL on dialup, but I tried the site again this
afternoon on Fedora 8, and both sound, and vision are ok (45mins for 2m:30 of
video). I do have a bunch of plugins installed in Firefox, as below.

Realplayer, dl'd from Real.com
Flash-plugin from freshrpms, version 9.0r115
Mplayerplug-in, also from freshrpms, and pulls in a bunch of deps, including
Mplayer when installed.
The Java version is the icedTea that comes with Fedora 8

The setup is pretty much the same on FC2, except I am using Sun's JRE. Not the
latest version, but it works ok.

I presume you're using Fedora 8, as you mention icedTea.

Nigel.