F8 Network Woe

Antonio Montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Mon Dec 10 17:27:10 UTC 2007

mike cloaked ha scritto / said the following    il giorno/on 10/12/2007
18:24:
> Jonathan Allen wrote:
>

>> /etc/resolv.conf:
>>
>>  domain barumtrading.co.uk
>>   nameserver 158.152.1.58
>>   nameserver 158.152.1.46
>>

> Usually the first line of the resolv.conf is
> "search machine_name" ... maybe change "domain" to "search" and try to
> restart the network.
>

>> ifcfg-eth0:
>>
>>   # Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet
>>   DEVICE=eth0
>>   BOOTPROTO=none
>>   BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
>>   HWADDR=00:D0:09:D1:14:57
>>   IPADDR=192.168.1.6
>>   NETMASK=255.255.255.0
>>   NETWORK=192.168.1.0
>>   ONBOOT=yes
>>   GATEWAY=192.168.1.126
>>   TYPE=Ethernet
>>   USERCTL=no
>>   IPV6INIT=no
>>   PEERDNS=yes
>>

> If you have PEERDNS=yes then in principle you will allow
> /etc/resolv.conf to be overwritten.
> I would use PEERDNS=no
> Also if you want not to have /etc/ntp.conf overwritten you could add PEERNETP=no
>
> If you make these changes and restart the network and the interface
> (or re-boot) does it now work?

I think user is starting NetworkManager at boot-time.....and I guess
that NM trashes all his settings: he should not allow NetworkManager
start at boot-time...

--
Antonio

Skype: antoniomontag
Alice 20 Mega
Mail by Thunderbird 2.0 - Websurfing by Firefox 2.0
Linux Fedora 7 (Moonshine)
Linux user number 362582
http://www.linuxsaronno.net
http://www.montagnani.org