F8 Network Woe

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Mon Dec 10 19:15:36 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 10:51 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 18:08 +0000, Jonathan Allen wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 05:36:22PM +0000, mike cloaked wrote:
> > >
> > > I would switch off NM altogether -
> > > use
> > > service NetworkManager stop
> > > chkconfig NetworkManager off
> > > service NetworkManagetDispatcher stop
> > > chkconfig NetworkManagetDispatcher off
> >
> > All done, as you suggested ...
> >
> > > That way it will be stopped in your current system and will not
> > > restart after re-booting
> >
> > Indeed, it didn't restart on boot, but neither did the network.  During
> > the 'init' time it produced the familiar message:
> >
> >    Error, some other host already uses address 192.168.1.6 [FAILED]
> >
> > and didn't bring the network up.  However, as soon as it was up:
> >
> >    # ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.6 up
> >    # route add default fw 192.168.1.126 eth0
>
> Uh, shouldn't that be "route add default gw 192.168.1.126"?  You don't
> need to specify a device for it.
>
> > brought everything on-line.  Now why won't it do it during the book sequence
> > and why does it stil think someone else is using the IP address.  I can't
> > find (ie using grep) "192.168" anywhere in sysconfig/* or sysconfig/*/*
> > except for the specific instances in ifcfg-eth0
>
> Uhm, hmmm.  Try deleting the /var/lib/dhcpd/dhclient.leases* files.  It
> may be that the system is seeing leftovers from NM's dhclient calls and
> thinks there's a lease existing for that IP.

Oops!  Forgot!  If you did "chkconfig NetworkManager[Dispatcher] off",
then you should also "chkconfig network on".  In other words, if NM/NMD
is on, network should be off and vice versa.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-  BASIC is the Computer Science version of `Scientific Creationism' -