list subject

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Tue Dec 11 02:01:13 UTC 2007

Mike wrote:
> While we're voting (ok I just decided we were voting :), I'd like to
> vote against [Fedora-list] or anything for that matter added to thte
> subject.

Yes, adding to the subject is quite pointless. :)

For anyone that wishes to make suggestions to the list admins, please
do so directly rather than sending such requests to the list.  If the
admins think an idea has merit, they can toss it out here for some
discussion if they want.

> I filter all my mail lists to there own folder with a procmail
> recipe like that below.  Adding text to the subject only serves to
> reduce the amount of "real" subject text that I see...
>

> :0:
> * ^X-loop:.*fedora-list at redhat.com
>   Fedora

I can go you one better.  This recipe will work for any list that
follows rfc 2919 and adds a List-Id header (nearly all mailman lists
and many others).  I don't have to manually tweak list recipes very
often anymore.

# automagically handle nice standards conformant mailing lists.
# based on http://spacepants.org/conf/dot.procmailrc,
# where it was attributed to Jeff Waugh
:0
#* ^(List-Id|(X-)?Mailing-List|X-List):\/.*
{
    LISTID=$MATCH

    :0
    * LISTID ?? ^.*[<]\/[^@>\.]*
    lists/$MATCH/

    # the ^ * seems ineffective at removing spaces, best to be sure
    # the initial pattern does this (e.g.: ^List-Id: +\/.*)
    :0
    * LISTID ?? ^ *\/[^@\.]*
    lists/$MATCH/
}

This one will catch lists that use List-Post headers:

{
    LISTPOST=$MATCH

    :0
    * LISTPOST ?? ^ *\/[^@]*
    lists/$MATCH/
}

Never argue with an idiot. First, they drag you down to their level,
then beat you with experience.
    -- Ben Adams