root password timeout

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 02:57:06 UTC 2007

Where is the timeout setting for remembering the root password for
various system-controlling applets?

For instance, if you open system-config-network, it asks you for a
password the first time - but then it remembers it for a few minutes.
Within that time you can close & reopen the  network config applet, and
most other admin applets, as well. I'd like to make my computer timeout
immediately, if possible.

Also, is there a way to manually override the timeout (force it to time
out on command)? E.g. if I need to quickly change a setting and then let
someone else work on the computer.

BTW, I'm using KDE - but I suspect that these applets were written for
gnome.