SELinux enforcing, an external ntfs-3g mount, Samba and Fedora 8

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Dec 11 15:34:59 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:
> It would appear that mounting ntfs-3g systems is like mounting vfat
> where the user/group that mounts the files is the owner/group of those
> files and no amount of chown/chmod will change that.
>
> Mount the disk with uid/gid that you want.
>
> Craig

Chown/chmod only works on file systems that support it, and I don't
believe that NTFS does. At least the Linux implementation does not.
So you are limited to the mount options to set things for the entire
file system. You can change the apparent permissions on the
files/directories with some of the mount options.

When serving out Samba shares, I find that if you tell Samba to use
the same user/group as you mounted the file system as works well.

Mikkel