link-local

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Dec 12 02:04:38 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 22:55 +0100, Gijs wrote:
> Not completely sure yet, but I would guess link-local would be your
> local loopback (ie 127.0.0.1).

No, link-local is the 169.254.x.y auto/random address scheme, for when
there's no DHCP server and the machines pick random unique addresses for
themselves, just so that they each have some IP address.

See:  Bonjour or ZeroConf

It seems that Linux still has entries for it in the routing table, even
if you're not currently using that addressing scheme.  It's probably
easier to leave them preset, so that no further configuration changes
need making should something connect up using one of those addresses, or
the local machine suddenly started using one, itself.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.