usbkeys with U3 and their removal?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Dec 12 07:33:15 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 08:18 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
>> Next year, their users are going to find their internet gets cut off
>> for "minor" infringements such as personal study of human biology and
>> searching for the word "unblocker."
>
> But, but, but...  I was trying to find a local plumber to unblock the
> drains...  ;-)

Tough. Not on the student computers.

> But being seriously, I counselled some school computer admin a few years
> ago not to make half-baked bans that blocked the word "rape" in all
> queries, regardless.  He might just prevent the one and only attempt
> someone made to help themselves after being raped.  Some thought does
> need to go into how you go about blocking things.

Google for the one word, unblocker.

It completely defeats google's safe search, block lists of known bad
sites, and pontentialy everything. If someone puts one of these things
on port 80 and uses https we can't monitor it.

And if we don't have rules and enforce them, we're liable to prosecution
on "duty of care" grounds, and I imagine our funding might be at risk.
Some of our students are wards of the state; I'm sure The State would
like another opportunity to blame someone else.

Recently one of our students managed to download 400 Mbytes of human
biology education.

Anyway, it's the computer that gets cut off, and it's only until next day.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait