F8 Network Woe

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Dec 12 11:09:18 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 10:13 +0000, Jonathan Allen wrote:
> On the offending machine itself ...
>
>    [root at test ~]# host 192.168.1.6
>    host: '6.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.' is not a legal name (unexpected end of input)
>    [root at test ~]# nslookup 192.168.1.6
>    nslookup: '6.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.' is not a legal name (unexpected end of input)
>
> On the main server in the local network:
>
>    [root at mirror lists]# host 192.168.1.6
>    Host 6.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>    [root at mirror lists]# nslookup 192.168.1.6
>    Server:         158.152.1.58
>    Address:        158.152.1.58#53
>
>    ** server can't find 6.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa: NXDOMAIN
>
> So that does seem to rule out the address beiny anywhere in use on the
> local network, doesn't it?

No, it's the same as I wrote regarding the dig results.  That just means
that nobody has an answer for that IP being associated with a domain
name.

I can plug a box into my network, give it the IP 192.168.1.6, but not
bother to put any entries for it on the DNS server nor any hosts file.
It'll still be useable on the network, but no other machine will be able
to dig, host, or nslookup, it.  And it won't be able to do some of those
checks on itself.  Being able to ping it would depend on its
configuration.

You'd want to try other means to determine if there is something using
that address on the network.  e.g. Play with the arp command.

Did you try the other test I mentioned?  Trying to get it to accept
using that IP while it's not connected to your LAN?  Of course there's a
chance that it mightn't let you set an IP while there's no network
cabled to it, you could work around that by connecting to just one other
thing, something you're certain isn't the cause of the 192.168.1.6
issue.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.