It Works fine... System lockups with F8 and Firefox

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Dec 12 12:11:50 UTC 2007

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007, David L. Gehrt wrote:

> I have learned NOT to feed Karl the Troll.  If we stop responding to
> the (mostly) worthless posting he makes he will go away and pester
> the subscribers to some other poor list.

  and this is the fundamental misunderstanding of so many members of
this mailing list -- that if you ignore karl, he will finally give up
and take his tiresome act elsewhere.

  ain't.  gonna.  happen.

  we're already well aware of karl's pattern of behaviour, which
consists of some combination of:

1) posting rubbish with a subject of "hey, something interesting!"
2) describing anything unexpected as a "bug" and promising to submit
   it as a bug report
3) constantly promising/threatening to write "documentation" when he
   is so obviously ignorant of what he speaks
4) calling even people who try to help him "stupid"
5) insulting entire social demographics

and it's that last bit that's become particularly worrisome.

  recently, karl has explicitly denigrated germans, canadians and old
people.  so who's next?  women?  gays?  immigrants?  because you
just *know* it's coming, and that's what suddenly makes this an issue
that needs to be handled.

  it's bad enough that people who show up on this list are subject to
karl's uninformed and frequently dangerous advice.  it's something
else altogether when they might be subject to his open insults on
their nationality or their age.

  quite simply, karl needs to be kicked off this list and banned from
all red hat mailing lists.  and, no, it shouldn't take more than about
three seconds to see that that's a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

  karl simply refuses to learn.  he will not take advice of any kind,
he won't follow simple rules of ML etiquette no matter how many people
tell him the same thing, he calls even people who try to help him
"stupid" and, from a technical standpoint, his posted "advice" is
almost uniformly worthless if not downright harmful, forcing people
who *do* know stuff to waste time constantly correcting him for the
sake of other readers.

  you can try to put up with this and hope against hope that things
will improve, and ask that we stop picking on karl.  and the end
result is that absolutely nothing will change, and karl will
inevitably fly off the handle and insult yet another collective of
people.

  so i'm going to suggest this just this one time, then i'm going to
shut the hell up about it:  karl needs to be banned from red hat
mailing lists.  he contributes nothing, and his presence has
single-handedly made this list a less pleasant place to hang out.  he
needs to go.

  further than that, deponent sayeth not.

rday

Robert P. J. Day