Why cant I make my laptop ethernet cards recognise 10Mbs?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Dec 12 20:06:48 UTC 2007

phil prentice wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
>   The first thing I would like to say is thank you all very much for your
> suggestions.  I've tryed various different types of cable and played around
> with the settings using ethtool, but to no avail.  I think the writings on
> the wall for me to use the other laptop that already works.  I just thought
> that there might be some easy solution to the problem (which there might be,
> but I think its going to take me a long time for me to find it).  Its been
> interesting though and slightly frustrating, but at least I have got a
> solution(use the other laptop).
>
> THANKS AGAIN
>
> Phil

Hi Phil,
 I am sorry we couldn't get you up and running. I take it that
ethtool couldn't set the NIC in the laptop to 10 Mbit, half-duplex.
One thing you may want to keep your eyes open for is a cheep 10 Mbit
or 10/100 Mbit hub. I have a small 5 port hub I keep around for
connecting things together. It does meen I need one more cable, but
I find it works better then a crossover cable. I have run into too
many devices that don't work well with a crossover cable unless you
manually tweak things, but will work fine when plugged into a hub.
(Some devices will not produce a link beet until they get one.)

Mikkel