SELinux enforcing, an external ntfs-3g mount, Samba and Fedora 8

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Dec 12 23:18:06 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 20:38 -0700, Craig White wrote:
>> Thus the concept of 'users' and 'mapping', though intriguing, would be
>> rather pointless for an NTFS filesystem mounted by ntfs-3g
>
> Nup, I'd say it's just as valid as the user ownership in my ext3 /home
> partition.
>
> I could well have three people using a Linux box, and the same three
> people using Windows, and wanting to each own their own files, all of
> the time, no matter where stored.

However much you wish it, I don't think it would even work for two
Windows systems on the same computer.

For starters, Windows expects to be installed to a primary partition.
This protects one Windows system from another installed on the same drive.

> Whether ntfs-3g can manage that is another matter, but there's
> definitely good reasons to want seamless different user ownership across
> different file systems.

A problem is whether user "tim" in one context is the same as "tim" in
another.

I manage a Windows network. If I log on to a Windows box as summer using
a local account (as I commonly do), then Windows creates me a home
directory.

If I then log onto the same Windows box using my domain login, also
summer, it then creates a new home directory, summer.000.

If I delete the domain account, summer, and then recreate it (I did this
on a Windows course), then log on using the domain login, summer, on the
same Windows box, it then creates a new home directory, summer.001.

The assumption, the safe one, is that the three accounts are for
different people.

--

Cheers
John