Virtualize an existing installation of Windows

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 03:30:45 UTC 2007

Dylan Semler wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2007 6:03 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com
> <mailto:hobbes1069 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     I don't know about using Xen. I wanted to go that route but my
>     processor does not support VT-x. I use VirtualBox and it works
>     quite well. In their tutorial they have instructions for building
>     a VMDK file that points to the partition. It may be more automated
>     now but it was pretty manual when I did it. A couple of notices:
>

> Interesting, I have never heard of VirtualBox.  What made you chose
> that over vmware?  How do you like the performance?
>
> Thanks for the tips.
> --
> Dylan
>
> Type faster.  Use Dvorak:
> http://dvzine.org
A while ago there was a virtualization discussion going on here and
several products were listed, one of which was VirtualBox. I have both
VMWare and VirtualBox working, the former with a 6GB file and VirtualBox
pointing to my XP partition. VirtualBox is still very full featured but
not quite a tweakble as VMWare but seems to run a little faster. They're
both good products.

Even though they are both "free" I don't like having to mess with a
serial # for VMWare, also the setup for VirtualBox is simpler, although
both require you to compile a kernel module. (At least for Fedora, you
can probably get prebuilt modules for RHEL/CentOS).

Richard