NVidia on Compaq presario and video output

François Patte francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr
Thu Dec 13 15:51:48 UTC 2007

Lonni J Friedman a écrit :

> [...]
        ^^^^^^^^^^ Is this driver?

                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Is this driver?

> Again, you're confusing hardware behavior & driver behavior.  The two
> are not necessarily the same.

Your remark is irrelevant! (See above)

>>> Again, that has nothing to do with your original statement.  You've
>>> proven that you can read the README, but you apparently don't
>>> understand it very well.
>> I just wanted to say, using this statement (and it works like this for
>> me since fc4), that in the xorg.conf file the values put on the line
>> "CRT" are for the configuration of the external monitor whatever it is,
>> LCD or CRT or beamer.
>
> And this is incorrect.  If the external display is a DFP, its going to
> be treated as such.  An external display device is not always a CRT.

The external device connected to a VGA port is "considered" (not "is")
as a CRT. You would have to explain why  a LCD connected to the VGA port
complain that the freq given for the CRT in xorg.conf are out of range,
if you give wrong values, and works smoothly if you give the correct ones.

- --
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique
Université Paris Descartes