Red Hat News - it's probably Classmate

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Dec 13 16:12:41 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 18:35 -0500, jack wallen wrote:
>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>> i think they are talking about this:
>>
>> http://www.olpcnews.com/software/operating_system/red_hat_intel_classmate_pc.html
>>
>> it's basically competition for OLPC.
> ----
> cool...my boss ordered one of the OLPC (on the 2 for 1 deal) and I'm
> looking forward to playing with it. No wonder why redmondmag is
> gloating...Microsoft is pretty much just an interested party anyway.
>
> Craig

I don't think the Classmate is a direct competitor for the OLPC as it
requires to much power to keep running.  Not much use in the third world
where there are no local outlets.

But Microsoft's interest in the OLPC is funny.  They want it redesigned
with more flash storage and a different SD interface to allow them to
put a smaller version of WinXP on it.  The version may be just a smart
terminal server but this is their plan.  Also they have an issue with
the hardware because all the drivers are open source and they have to
reverse engineer their own closed source drivers.

There are a few around work here that have ordered the Give one get one
promotion package.  I am looking forward to getting mine.

I am also reading that these new sub-notebooks (OLPC, Classmate, eeePC)
are all putting pressure on Microsoft to keep XP in their business
package.  I really doubt that Microsoft will ever get Vista to work on
these computers.

--
Robin Laing