Are nVidia closed source drivers still needed for 2 years old chipset?

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Dec 13 18:51:59 UTC 2007

dondi_2006 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have to install FC 8 on a computer with a nForce430/
> GeForce6150 chipset.
>
> I have printed out the instructions to install the nVidia drivers but then I thought "maybe two years of
> reverse engineering were enough to make the
> open source drivers suport 100% that chipset.
>
> Is this the case? Are the closed source drivers available today from  http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html still needed to
> use under fedora all the capabilities of a 2+ year old
> chipset?
>
> Or is the current version of the nv driver enough?
>
> Basically, do I still need today the closed source
> drivers to get all those chips are capable of?
>
> Thanks,
> D.

    The nv in the kernel will Not work properly. If your going to update
your kernel then there should be a update for the Nvidia video also. The
other choice is to get the binary from the web page you show and run
that every time you do change a kernel or a whole system.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User