Problem with random disks mount sequence

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 20:01:22 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> If you are creating a software RAID array later, you may have to
> rebuilt the initrd with additional drivers. But if you are moving
> your root file system to a RAID array, you are going to have to make
> a lot of changes to the system, so that is the time to add the
> additional drivers to initrd.

What I've sometimes done is a fresh install on the new hardware (raid,
different disk controller, etc.), and then kept only the contents of
/boot perhaps /etc/modprobe.conf, overwriting the rest with a copy of a
system from some other machine and adjusting fstab and grub.conf by
hand, but it seems like there should be an easier way to make an initrd
for new hardware.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com