Why cant I make my laptop ethernet cards recognise 10Mbs?

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Dec 14 12:38:46 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 16:21 +0000, Chris G wrote:
>
>> in reality ordinary cable will survive some years outdoors.
>>
>> I had some old-fashioned "thin ethernet" running out of the window and
>> over the flat roof of my garage at my old house for several years. I
>> removed it when we moved house and it was in perfectly serviceable
>> condition still.
>>

> I've found variable results.  Some goes rigid and inflexible after
> exposure, and will crack if you flex it.  For coax, the outer cover is
> part of the characterisics of the cable, if that chemically deteriorates
> it can affect performance (e.g. becomes permeable to water).  Not that
> I'd expect to see trouble from ethernet use, but perhaps for comms.
>

>> If there's a choice dark colours are likely to be better in a very
>> sun-exposed position than light colours.
>>

> I would have thought otherwise, but that seems the conventional wisdom.
> Black will absorb more heat and cook itself in the sun, other things can
> reflect it away much better.  Though is seems usual that the chemicals
> in black plastic are more stable.

    I live in High Desert and we get a lot of hot sun. All the stuff
made for use outdoors is a light creme color either green or brown. I
did a lot of IR work in my job and I found that the light colors reflect
a high percentage of the sun's radiated energy in the .5 to 2 Micron
region. It was a surprise.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI