fc8 package manager

James McManus jmpmcmanus at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 14:10:52 UTC 2007

Since installing fc8, I have been having problems with the package manager.
Sometimes when I uninstall a package it will require me to remove other
packages, that the package I am removing uses, but that are not dependent on
that package. For instance if I try and remove Grass, it will tell me that I
also have to remove GDAL. Grass uses GDAL to read and write files, so it has
to be installed for Grass to work properly. However, GDAL is a stand alone
package, and does not need Grass to work. In fact a lot of other packages,
such as Mapserver, uses GDAL, so it would create problems for those
packages, if I removed it. I did not have this problem in previous versions
of Fedora. What has happened to fc8?

Jim