Anti-spam filters

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Dec 14 23:02:43 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 18:25 -0300, Martin Marques wrote:
>> I'm moving some mail addresses from one server to another, and I was
>> thinking about changing my anti-spam system.
>>
>> Today, I'm still using bogofilter for my personal account, but it would
>> be nice to have a multi-user anti-spam system which can have per-user DB.
>>
>> I was thinking about dspam, but I see that there are no rpm, at least in
>> yum and with some google searching (not to much, maybe I should look a
>> little more).
>>
>> Now, what other options do I have?
>>
> spamassassin + a procmail that calls it to filter your stream will do
> that. Each user has his own .procmailrc file.
> --

At work I run postfix, spamassassin and then procmail and cyrus-imap.
Google for how-tos.

There is no per-user procmailrc, all I use procmail for is to crudely
detect mail with dubious attachments and file them in the user's
windwoes folder, stuff marked up by spamassassin goes to their spam
folder and the rest to inbox.

In postfix we are very picky about who we listen to, your IP must
resolve, your helo name must resolve, your IP address must not me
mentioned in any blocklist we use (spamhaus is the best). Those rules
alone block at least half the spam.

At home, it's different. Again, I use picky postfix and the blocklists.
My frontline mail server no longer accepts mail to
herakles.homelinux.org. Instead. mail from Red Hat's servers and select
other locations is relayed via DNAT to an internal mail server. I don't
get spam to my herakles addresses.

Also, nobody I handle mail for speaks Chinese, Korean, Russian, Spanish
or Portugese or expects mail from places where any of those is the
primary language. Therefore, when I'm checking my logs and see an
attempt to break in using ssh, or send spam I have no hesitation in
blocking the entire network as revealed by whois. Mostly, it's a /24
network, but there are one or two /13s.

I've not done it yet, but I plan to also block the network source of
email directed to my spambait addresses.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait