F8 install failure at xinit

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Dec 15 04:29:57 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 22:41 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> I just tried to install F8 on a fresh 400GB sata disk, on an offboard
> controller.  I configured it so as not to touch the existing drives with FC6
> installed on them so that I had some continuity and could back up to Fc6 as I
> am now.
>
> Everything was marching along at a good rate, with basically an everything
> install, 1266 packages IIRC.
>
> At the 805th package it bailed out.  The package was:
>
> xorg-x11-xinit-1.0.7-2.fc8.i386.rpm
>
> It either could not be opened or was missing.  The media did pass checksum,
> and the network was alive & well, the install getting much of its info from
> there according to the traffic on my router.
>
> Next?
----
Personally, I'd start over.

you probably could do a reboot with all the same install parameters and
it would probably continue on from where it left off, you could probably
do a linux rescue boot, chroot, manually finish (at least 'yum
groupupdate Base') and run grub-install but I would want a new/clean
install to start with disrepair.

Craig