hald/haldaemon cpu usage

wwp subscript at free.fr
Sat Dec 15 10:51:09 UTC 2007

Hello Konstantin,

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 23:40:11 -0800 Konstantin Svist <fry.kun at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've found that HAL is responsible for reporting battery events to
> kpowersave - which means the CPU problem might be caused by my dead
> battery (it died a short while ago)
>
> Another problem I've noticed is that changing the brightness level of
> the screen, while in X and haldaemon is running, causes computer to
> freeze for a second or two. It has never done that before.
>

> Anyone else experience something like this?

Not sure if it's the same, but I encounter short and less-shorts hangs
apparently due to power-management here (Dell D810, within GNOME). I
tried shutting down haldaemon as well as playing w/ hal
polling, /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs and
/proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq, but I could not feel a difference
(it's sometimes not easy to reproduce) in definitive it could seem to
be more related to gnome-power-management (I got it crashed and felt
better from a desktop PoV!).

See several related issues I've reported:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-December/msg00904.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-December/msg00476.html

Regards,

--