F8 install failure at xinit

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 15:25:20 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 06:17 -0500, David Boles wrote:
>>
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Greetings all;
>>>
>>> I just tried to install F8 on a fresh 400GB sata disk, on an offboard
>>> controller.  I configured it so as not to touch the existing drives with FC6
>>> installed on them so that I had some continuity and could back up to Fc6 as I
>>> am now.
>>>
>>> Everything was marching along at a good rate, with basically an everything
>>> install, 1266 packages IIRC.
>>>
>>> At the 805th package it bailed out.  The package was:
>>>
>>> xorg-x11-xinit-1.0.7-2.fc8.i386.rpm
>>>
>>> It either could not be opened or was missing.  The media did pass checksum,
>>> and the network was alive & well, the install getting much of its info from
>>> there according to the traffic on my router.
>>>
>>> Next?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> If this is an official Fedora 8 DVD an 'everything install' does not
>> really install everything. Anaconda only 'knows' about what is on the 3+
>> GB disk. If you just let Anaconda do a standard install when it is
>> complete and the system is up and running in the 'Add/Remove Software'
>> menu selection you are shown the same, or a very similar application
>> selection screen. And that, since you are know able to install from The
>> Internet, really does offer 'everything'. More than what would fit on
>> two full DVDs.
>>
>> Why do it this way? The 'standard install' works because it was tested.
>> There could be no way, or enough time, to test every possible package
>> selection for installation.
>>
>> I do my clean installs this way. A basic install and add the missing
>> packages later. It works every time. Plus you get the added benefit of
>> not having to install a package and then update. You get the updates, if
>> any, installed when you make your selections of packages to add.
> ----
> Fedora 8 (perhaps 7 did too) allows you to add repositories for
> additional installation right from anaconda. Not that I disagree with
> you but the option is there for those that want to add more stuff on
> initial installation.

I was aware of that feature also. I did not mention it because it takes
a little planning, you have to find and write down the URL path, and not
just put a check mark in a box. I have done this and it does work. Quite
well actually. But as I said Craig it takes a little more effort than I
see many making before they start.  ;-)

- --

  David