Dual boot 32-bit and 64-bit kernel

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Sat Dec 15 18:30:46 UTC 2007

I'd like to be able to boot either the 32-bit or 64-bit
version of Fedora 8.  I have the 64-bit kernel installed
natively and I've been running the 32-bit kernel under VMWare.
I'd like to copy the 32-bit kernel and root from the VM guest
to the host system.

Normally, if I want to boot two kernels, I just set up
grub.conf to point to each kernel, since they have different
names.  But  both the 32-bit and 64-bit F8 kernels have the
same name.

Can I simply rename the boot files and /lib/modules (say, to
add -32 or -64) and update grub.conf?  Or do I need to do
something else?

Is there a simple way to set up Fedora 8 for dual 32- and
64-bit boot?

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077